Wednesday, April 9, 2008


Lest you think me old and maudlin. the blog about living in Ohio was really only for the really old folks in the family for no one really remembers Ireland except Granny and may Auntie Christina and Uncle Andy, but they were very small and that was a long, long time ago and well…it was well after midnight when I typed it too!

However, I did want to tell you how wonderful General Conference was. I know you will all see it in your Aussie chapels this next weekend and it will be no less thrilling than it was as we were watching it in our chapels or homes here in the States.

Solemn Assemblies happen only very few times in your life time as a new prophet is called.

The calling of a new prophet always stirs up the “powers of darkness” and lots of things are written and talked about that are not always kind to his faithful servants. (Internet “uglies” had a field day.) This is a man who has been dedicated to the Lord as an Apostle for all of Auntie Sharon’s lifetime (doesn’t that put it in perspective). That 6-year YW president call or the 2-year nursery call (that I grumbled about) seems a small time in comparison. Sister Monson has been lucky if she gets to sit near him at all, let alone in the same building or same country for over 40 years.

Standing in the Solemn Assembly was touching and it showed the order of the Lord’s Priesthood at work, right down to the youngest 12 year old in the congregation. Pres. Monson’s stories are fun, but his example of a life dedicated to service is really why he is respected, admired and loved around the world. We will miss President Hinkley, but seeing the mantle of prophet fall upon President Monson gave me chills and a witness that he is the Lord’s prophet upon the earth today. “The stone cut out of the mountainside” is filling the whole earth, and our family is a part of it.

3 comments:

andy smylie said...

Di

My fondest memories are of my time at CCNZ - meeting with you at the cafe to catch up with each other - and assemblies and conferences in the David O McKay building. Thomas S Monson looms very large in those memories.

I remember his down to earth talks - not what he actually said but the feeling that he really was speaking from the heart and as a spokesman for the Prophet and the Lord.

I read with joy the various blogs of family members as they write of daily lives and am glad to be part of that extended family.

Love Ya!
XOXOXO

Dee said...

I can hear you speaking this with your soft gentle voice and feel your lovely spirit and want to be just like you as in my younger days. (Well, I will always be younger than you but that's beside the point!Ha Ha) Love you always Shelley

Anonymous said...

love you di.