( This photo is of me on the bonnet of Zaj's car up in Alice Springs at Christmas this year)I am amazed at the extent of family that I haven't met and would dearly love to know about and also have them know about me. I don't where to start so I guess I'll go from the beginning.
First of all, my one wish would be to meet and hug everyone of you. Seeing all of your wee ones and knowing they're part of my family, I would dearly love to see their little faces in person and have a good yarn and I'm sure I would talk mostly about Ireland and the folk that I left behind in 1956.
I was born in 1927 in County Antrim in Belfast, Ireland to Andy and Elizabeth (Lizzy) McCracken, my father was a baker and my mother was a weaver of Irish Linen. I was the second child in a family of four, James (Jim), Margaret (Meg), Mary (Molly). I went back to Ireland for visits a couple of times but the family eventually diminished.
Ellen wants me to pick one of the very many memories from my childhood that I have and so I picked just one . I remember delivering magazines when my brother took a newspaper round to make pocket money. My pay for delivering magazines was that he would take me to the movies every Monday night. It cost him four pennies to get in and a penny for an icecream and I guess that icecream was the best ever. I was so delighted that I got to work with my big brother.
I'm sending you snaps that I have that go back a few years. One of my grandsons (Joe Dunbar)asked in what year was I born and when I said 1927, he said, after a wee bit of thought, "that was in the first half of the last century Granny." This gave me food for thought - I realised I personally knew and know people from 3 centuries. That is I knew my great grandfather, my grandmother, my Mother and I know my children, my grandchildren and my great grandchildren.
This photograph is a group from our very first church beginnings. My Christina, Dinah and Andy are at the front of the photo and my David is at the back of the photo. David and I attended a meeting to tease the missionaries whom we thought of as friends but weren't interested in joining. We wanted to shock them by showing up and entertain ourselves with their reaction. The elderly man at the front middle of the picture is Brother Heslop. He bore his testimony at that very first church meeting and the spirit that we felt from that truly convinced us of the truthfulness of the gospel.
This is the back of our house at Ardean Ave, Rathcool, Belfast. Andy and Dinah are in the middle , wearing their Burberry coats given to them by their grandmother McCracken every year.
This family snap was taken outside of the chapel in Belfast which was held in a house called 'The Mount'. The Kids are Christina, Andy, Dinah and Stephen.
This photo from left to right (front row): My mother Lizzy McCacken, My Grandmother Jeanie (Jane) Johnson, (I can't remember the little girl's name), Cathy Kane, My father Andy McCracken. (Back Row) Harry Kane, Mollie Kane (my mother's sister). This is the only photo that I have of my grandmother (such a tiny little thing about 5'2 with a husband who was 6'4).
So hopefully you will have had a small glimpse into the beginnings of what is an ever expanding clan in Australia and America. I love you all and promise to write on here again with more photos and more memories.
Always and ever, your loving Mum, Granny and Great Grandmother Smylie xoxo
12 comments:
mum, that was wonderful - i fully enjoyed reading even this small portion of your life history, and look forward to hearing more - the photos are equally wonderful - i don't think i had ever heard, or at least i don't remember hearing, about you and dad attending the meeting that brought you into the gospel - thank you for posting a picture of the man whose testimony changed the destiny of each our lives - i am hoping i will remember his face on the other side...i look forward to shaking his hand and thanking him for being such a diligent disciple.
i love you - don't be a stranger...write more soon
sharry and family.
Granny!!! I am so pleased to hear from you! I love and miss you very much. I am coming over in August, which I am very thrilled about. I cannot wait to see all of the family.
-Caitlin Rose
That was wonderful! These stories and photos are the things I have been waiting to hear and see for a very long time. :)
Granny, thanks for telling us these stories and sharing your photos. Please write some more. xx
Mum, lovely to hear from you and the photos are precious. I miss you so and wish I could hear these stories at your side, but will settle or the next best thing. Isn't technology great. Keep the stories coming and remember you are dearly loved by all your children on both sides of the ocean. Hugs and kisses from Ohio...love, di
Nice work Ellen. See everyone seeds are sown whose fruit is so delicious we could not have forseen. Be a seed sower. Do good so that good will grow. Teach your children well and raise them up in righteousness so that they may be blessed as you have been. Hugs and kisses to you all.
Please write more! Those of us who have never heard you tell any stories just eat this up too quickly! Please share more so that my children might know you better as well!
Hello Granny
i haven't really written you in so long. i loved that we served missions at the same time and wrote better then. These stories are wonderful and i'm glad you add such specific detail as some of us have never been to Ireland.
i love you
Rachel Brown
granny i love you
I love that you can see how much grandad loves you in many of the photos by the twinkle in his eye. You two really did start a legacy of faith. I am so deeply grateful for that. I am so blessed to have the vibrant heritage I do. I can't wait to tell my children all of these stories. lots of love
Love you Granny.
Thanks for the priceless photos and memories of Ireland and family there. One day I hope to take a walk down Ardean Ave and also look for the old chapel. It was amazing showing Hannah the picture of her Great Great Great Grandmother. You're the person who links them together. You knew them both.
Hope you can come and stay with us again soon.
oh wow, that was wonderful to see and to read. i can't believe how much i don't know about either side of my family. i would love to know more about Ireland and, well, everything. Please, write again soon, Granny. We all love hearing from you!
Hello there ... I am friends with Kristie Black and come from N. Ireland it was cool to see a picture of the Mount I remember going there in my younger years ... Many fond memories :)
Post a Comment