Wednesday, March 26, 2008

be careful what you ask for...


there's an old adage that says, "let sleeping dogs lie"... there are times when i think there may be some wisdom in that; and then i remember another old adage... something about "nothing ventured, nothing gained", and i figure what the heck!

when i started this venture in reconnecting with the family i wasn't sure what to expect - i wasn't sure if everyone would think it was a nice idea, but in reality would be kept too busy by the needs of their own little families to participate - thank heaven for it's tender mercies - i have been so pleasantly surprised to read how many of you were feeling the same way, and have decided to jump on the reunification bandwagon.  it has been so great to see pictures, and read stories, and catch up on what is going on with everyone from one side of the world to the other.  i especially love how even distant cousins-in-law have connected and found common ground in family, and babies, and beach days, and easter egg hunts.

what i didn't expect was that i would become soooo incredibly HOMESICK!!! i mean i have been happily living my life here in arizona for the past 21 years - sometimes with family close by, sometimes without - and i have always felt completely at peace. i fell in love with steven and my decision to stay in the u.s. was one i was perfectly willing to make.  before you think me heartless - i have missed the family - i've missed the christmases, picnic gatherings, lunch with the girls. i've missed being a part of all the births and baptisms and blessings etc. - but for the most part i've felt settled with my life here - i have great friends.  we live very comfortably.  i get along well with steven's family...we had a perfectly enjoyable easter spent with cousins from out of town, kids, good food and lots of laughter.  i've been blessed.

but as i read what is going on in your part of the world, i find myself being really covetous of the time you get to spend with each other.  i want to be there for all the picnics, and all the family get togethers.  i want my kids to be there with your kids.  is the coveting thing still considered a bad thing if you're coveting good things.  don't answer that.  just let me believe it's ok.

i love you desparately.  miss you madly.  don't stop.  keep it coming.
i'm glad i woke the dog...just gotta teach it not to bite so hard!

3 comments:

Dee said...

The thing that i love is the diversity of experience that is making for an awesome shared experience. What was happening before all this blogging is that we were doing our Aussie thing and you guys were all doing your U.S. thing. and these two worlds barely met every once in a while over the phone. now we want what you have and you want what we have but guess what, we all have the same thing. our family close. this blog thing has just made it more awesome to be part of the same family, for example before last week i had never wished any of your children, my cousins, happy birthday. that was cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dee. Hey Sharon. Hey Everyone Else.
I'm kind of the same Sharon. Living over in Sydney, apart from my family, I've been as happy as Larry. Not that we aren't close to our family, its just that the decision to move was the right one for various reasons.
Hopefully your homesickness will get you on a plane over here sometime soon. Staying with you in October was soooo good. It's something we will always remember and talk about in the months and years to come. I just asked Mark what he liked best about staying at your place and he said, without a pause, "Liam - He was so fun".

ariana said...

Hey Sharry,
I think you will find many in family who feel the same as you do, which doesn't really make you any less homesick, I know. I remember when I was younger, mom would tell me stories about the cousins and aunties and uncles and granny and granda, and I would get so jealous of all my cousins. We never were really close to dad's family either, however there are only three cousins on that side. Until I was nine I hadn't even met granny and granda Smylie. When granda died, I remember crying bitterly, not because I missed him, but because I didn't even get to know him really. My heart is still a little tender there. Don't get me wrong, I was a very happy child, with lots of love surrounding me. Still, a small part of me knew I was missing something important. When mom would visit Australia and come home with pictures and stories, I again would feel that green-eyed monster well up inside me. I wanted to see Uncle Andy's woodshop and hear all the girls sing at Christmas and listen to granny's stories and hear see the twinkle in granda's eye. It made me determined to visit Australia, and it was wonderful to be able to take Sariah to finally meet her grandmother. That month was some of the most precious memories I have. Still, even when I was there, I felt the separation. When all the family were singing granda's song at Christmas, Sariah and I didn't know the words. And when I was at Dee's playing with her children like old friends, I knew that in another week I would be half a world away and probably not see them again for quite some years. Strangely, I have alway felt very close to my family in my heart. I know that if I were to see any one of you tommorrow, we would pick up wherever we had left off or start up wherever we hadn't and have a wonderful time. I am grateful for the diversity of my life and the strength my family has given me. It is amazing to know that our family been sealed together and is eternal and that this mortality is only a small part of it all. I am so grateful for the internet and a good aunt who simply started something wonderful and inspired the family to come closer as much as an ocean and two continents will allow. all my love