Saturday, May 24, 2008

Growing up by Shelley Smylie #5

Yes, aren't the photos stunning? I kept on having 'Oh, look at that I remember that dress/hairstyle/house/person!' moments. There are some that will eventually get out there to family members but I told my girls not to put them on as Sharon might have trouble explaining what she is wearing on the top of THE ROCK but might I add she is not the only one of us who needs to rethink where our heads were fashion wise back then. BUT they do bring a wonderful sense of united memory and euphoria. In some of them I can actually feel the feelings of the moment all over again. It brings to mind how Mum use to admonished us for fighting with each other and warned us that there will come a time in the future when we might not have brothers and sisters close by but would wish we had them to talk to. AND SHE WAS RIGHT!!! Some so far away but the love we built is as strong as it was back then. I am not trying to paint a rosy picture that we never fought or that we were each others best friends in our teenage years. Noooooo! But yet we had an underlying love for one an other. I felt Christina's love when she bought us kids all tickets to 'The Sound of Music' One Easter. I love it that Dinah would let me, a 15 year old, go to the movies with her and a girlfriend on a saturday night. Owning up to being the little sister of Andy Smylie gave me kudos at school as he was a Prefect and an outstanding athlete. Oh, to sit next to Stephen and Dad in church and hear them sing was a little slice of heaven. And the girls always wanted an up date on Stephens girlfriend status, which was 'Still Donna!' The fun times Gerry and I had on days off of school when we raided the linen cupboard and played dress up with the sheets. Sharon your soft gentle nature allowed us to train for our future motherhood roles on you and I still have the cowboy boots that you bought at 17 but gave me. And David was our test of opening our arms and letting us love him. Thank you to you all. I am so grateful that I am surrounded by such giants of love. 0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0
PS His name is Michael Hegarty, Sharon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks shell - that was beautiful - i tell my kids that eternity is going to feel like a really long time if they aren't friends with each other so they better practice now! i see little glimpses promise every so often that tell me they do love each and will eventually know they love each other, and that all this in between time will finally be one of those "remember how...." moments.

i love you - i remember spending the holidays with you so many times - lots of talking and visiting. lots of laughing that would inevitably turn into the giggles. i still remember the joke we shared in your kitchen in parahills....

...two bunnies are eating oranges. one bunny says "this orange tastes pithy!" the other bunny says "i know, i jutht pithed on it!"

it gave me the giggles just writing that. i'm so immature! seriously!!

so glad caitlin will soon be sharing a laugh with you and coming to know the same things i do.

love you much, shadrack

ps. it was driving me NUTS not knowing michael's last name - i don't even know how i remembered his first name - i think he was around alot tho?!

Dinah said...

Hey #5, this is #2, who would love to see you and crawl in under the covers with you and just talk and talk about what you're doing/feeling/up to, and tell you all the same about me! Save hard doll...come visit Ireland next year. I would love the company, the soft voice, the great smile and the laughter over very simple stupid things and most of all a great big hug. Well now that you have stopped crying, what about it? Coming? I will wait for you there okay? Much love, kisses and hugs to you and yours.....Di

Sarie said...

This was lovely to read!!

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

hithisisjessie
fromamerica