Our Ward in Whyalla has been doing a lot on family history recently, and one of the former members, Sister Chris Hannan (nee Eacott) dug up these wonderful photos .....
Grandad looking very suave....the other 2 are Sis Nell Eacott and Bro Cliff Pope.About this picture ....dinah remembers....
Uncle Cliff Pope... When we first moved to Whyalla there were 2 missionaries and 2 sisters, one was Sister Eacott and one was Sister Pope. Sister Una Pope had grown up in Adelaide in the Prospect Ward area and had been great friends with Dudley and Jan Tredrea and ran around with that crowd as a teenager. She married this nonmember Cliff Pope and moved to Whyalla and had 3 boys. One of the missionaries was the Branch President when the Smylies arrived with 5 children, the youngest being Shelley at 5 months old. Well, Dad was called as the Branch President and the Popes made us a dear part of their family, but Uncle Cliff never joined the church. Time passed and a couple of girls joined the Pope family and Gerry was born to us(see picture below). The branch grew and grew and we did lots of things to fund a Chapel and Uncle Cliff laughed and said to your Grandfather "You'll never build a Chapel Dave!" Well time passed (some 22 years of marriage now) and Daryl went on his mission and then Brenton came up for leaving on his mission and the now President Tredrea was sending Una's sons off on missions so there was still a connection with the old Mission Field (Branches) and friends. On the way to taking Brenton to the see Pres. Tredrea Uncle Cliff asked would Brenton baptize him when he got to Adelaide. Of course he would and so that is how Uncle Cliff joined the church....but the best part is that he was then called as the Branch President in Whyalla and the Smylies were called to Adelaide and Uncle Cliff built the church with love and care for his carpentary skills were stunning and the doors of the chapel were his very own handywork, lovingly handcrafted. So Dave did not build the chapel, (Pres) Uncle Cliff Pope did!
Granny, Grandad and Aunty Gerry at some sort of Ward function
Primary at 57 Gowrie Ave Whyalla (the Eacott's home)
At the back left to right: Sylvia Liddle, Nell Eacott, Dinah Smylie, Wendy Eacott, Marion Quick,
Middle Row left to Right: Chris Eacott, Betty Boylan, Andrew Smylie, Bill Liddle, Steven Smylie,
Front Row Left to Right: Margaret Boylan, Steven Filapek, and the other two are Filapek girls (I don't know their names)
I'd love to hear if anyone has any stories to go along with the photos. Love Amelia XOXO
6 comments:
i wasn't even thought of during this time period - but i think that marion quicks mum was named flo quick, and as a kid i thought that was the funniest name ever - flo quick. mum told me not to be rude and make fun of other peoples names - but we had the last name of smylie...it paid to have a sense of humor...how could we not?!
these are great pics - thank amelia.
flo quick. too funny. great photos. Granny is sooo pretty.
What a treat. The year is 1959-1960 and I am 12 years of age and I am not sure but I think that may be Shelley in front of Stephen and not a Filipek girl but Granny will know. One of the Eacott girls was born on the same day as Elvis or the next day and I always thought that was cool! (I think it was Wendy. They could not wait until I was 12 and then I could teach the little ones. The Eacotts had the most delicious smelling comquot (ornamental oranges) tree in their back yard and I loved to smell it when walking there from school and pick a blossom or two. I was going to West School at the time and we would walk home over the hill to Norrie Avenue. We always had a homemade toffee (in a cupcake paper, clear hard candy) or a toffee apple or a vegemite sandwich around Sister Eacott's table before we had Primary. Sister Eacott was always such a lady, very refined. Sister Liddle was always Aunt Sylvia to me. I even lived with her for a couple of years as I worked at the BHP when I came back from NZ. My love to Chris Hannan, I remember her freckled face well. What a joy this is....love, di
Yes, I thought that was Aunty Shelley too, I just labelled the photo as Chris Hannan had. Does anyone know for sure?
Shelley #5
Yes it does look like me in the primary photo. I was old enough by the looks of Stephen. I remember taking threepence for the building fund and birthday pennies and getting the toffee Dinah was talking about and sometimes we would get a bag of loquats,sweet orange fruit with great big seeds in them. Trecking over the hill but the boys would take the short cut and go over the big water tower hill.
I love the feeling I get with such memories. love Shelley
Amelia--no stories, but I love the connectedness of all of us. I grew up in Colorado, but heard my dad talk about Whyalla. I'm pretty sure he was there for the building's dedication as his dad was a mission president in Australia. And then I get to marry a Smylie--and my father approves because he trusts australians...
Post a Comment