Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mum/Granny's memories per phone call....

I know you have seen this photo before, but here is a story about these people...Last Thursday night I called Mum and she shared the following with me....feel free to update the story and get the facts right...

I asked, "Mum, how old were you when the war broke out?" (meaning WWII) and she said, "Twelve", which made me really stop and think as Ireland was bombed a lot during the War, as Belfast was a ship building port. Anyway. I said, "What was Granny Johnson's address"? and Mum said, "121 Mervue (I am not sure of the spelling) Street, Belfast". "Tell me about her during this time" said I, to which Mum said, "One night her house was bombed and damaged when I was about 14." "My Mum, (meaning Granny McCracken) sent me and Jim (meaning Uncle Jim McCracken) over to see if she was okay. On the way we were stopped by a crowd because a huge bomb crater had been made in the middle of one of the streets and Jim and I stopped to see what was there." "Then my Dad (Granda McCracken) came up and said, "What are you doing here?" (He was in uniform as one of the city malitia?? and Mum said he was so handsome and it was the first time she had seen him as something other than her Dad.) Anyway, she went on to tell me they went to find Granny Johnson and she was okay and they moved her into 123 Mervue Street, next door, until she later went to live with Aunt Molly Kane (who had married Uncle Harry Kane) who lived across the street on Mervue Street. Apparently Granny Johnson had/ran a "penny shop" at 121 Mervue. What a "penny shop" means I have no idea but that was Mum's name for it.

I share this only because these stories will be lost if they are not recorded....so enjoy a little of the history of our family...love.............di xo x o

5 comments:

Kate said...

Thankyou so much for taking the time to share this. Its true, this stuff needs to be written down!

Dee said...

this stuff is gold. it's so good to share like this.

Anonymous said...

why did we not talk about these things and long to hear them when we were younger and memories were stronger.

thanks di and mum - good stuff - we want more!

Kristie said...

thanks auntie dinah

Dan said...

Yes. We want more. I have cherished the stories Granny has sent me in letters and things through the years. I love to read them and want to know more.