Sunday, February 6, 2011

Stories from Granny 3

(Dated: 5 Feb 04)

"I was born into the depression years which started in 1929 and ended with the declaration of War in 1939. These ten years were hard on adults although I can only say this in hindsight as I had a most delightful childhood. . . .

Granda McKinny went to sea at some time in his early life and his wife went with him. She expected to deliver a baby in San Francisco, but as the birth didn't come off he had a mesh wire cot made and a box for baby clothes. The cot hung on two upright ends---with a brass ring on the cot that hung on two knobs on the uprights. This cot swung with the waves and movement of the sea.

Many years later I would use this cot for the first five of my children. Your mother [Dinah] was first put to sleep by the swinging of this cot. I brought the box to Australia. . . . I asked about the cot when I paid a visit to Belfast in 1976, but it couldn't be traced. . . .

I will try to tell you some of Granda's stories as he grew older. When Chris was born, he asked to see her as she was his first G-G-Grandchild and we spent the day together---he walked me half way home pushing her pram. My regret is I didn't take a snapshot of that golden day for it was the last time I saw him."

No comments: